Gambling is an exciting and popular leisure activity in India.
According to Statista, the country has over 269 million players, rising to 365 million in 2020. By the end of 2022, experts see the number growing to over 510 million. So gambling’s popularity among locals is understandable.
Online casino games are fun and exciting, with random spins and dice. We may end up with a potential payout or jackpot. Online casino games set us up for an emotional roller-coaster or frustration due to losses, and in these sessions, our wallets bear the pressure.
For some who can manage their gameplay, gambling easily fits into their lifestyle. But for some players, the exciting potential casino games offer transforms into a problem, eventually taking over their lives.
A Look at the State of Gambling in India
Gambling is a lucrative and growing business in India. According to a January report from Consultancy Deloitte, India’s online gambling industry will grow to $2.8 billion by 2022.
In May 2020, Maple Capital Advisors valued the Indian gambling industry at $930 million and saw the industry grow 41% annually until 2024. According to the same consultancy, over 400 gaming startups are in the country, with an increasing number of mobile phone users who gamble online. And we’re not yet talking about the dozens of reputable offshore licensed casinos that accept real money wagers from Indian bettors.
Gambling is fun and exciting, and there’s a growing number of betting sites that are ready to accept bets and offer potential payouts.
But our team believes in responsible gambling. So while there are exciting opportunities with huge payout potential in games, we recommend playing within limits in a licensed and reputable online casino.
Our team creates this resource to serve as your guide in learning more about casinos and responsible gambling. In this guide, you’ll find information on the following:
- Difference between Problem Gambling and Responsible Gambling
- How to spot Problem Gambling
- Tips to keep gambling in control
- Tools and resources to use to regain and keep gambling in check
- Where to get help
Difference between Problem Gambling and Responsible Gambling
Responsible Gambling is a broad term that refers to using gambling for fun and entertainment. An accountable gambler plays casino games for leisure, has a plan, and sets limits. In short, the responsible player gambles in a way that will not affect his life.
It only becomes problematic if players use gambling as a source of income or when they gamble with money they can’t afford to lose.
A responsible gambler understands the basics of gambling, such as:
- Setting a bankroll and staging within the limit
- Gambling in leisure time only
- Playing casino games for entertainment, not as a primary source of income
- Not getting emotionally tied to gambling, including chasing losses
Online casinos and betting sites run Responsible Gambling programs primarily for prevention purposes. These tools and resources aim to protect players since the objective is to stop problem gambling from developing in the first place.
How to Spot Problem Gambling
For many players, gambling is fun and an exciting leisure time. However, some players allow gambling to take hold of their lives. Here are ways to tell and a few signs of problem gambling:
- Do you play casino games for long hours?
- Do you spend more time thinking about gambling than at work or other leisure activities?
- Have others complained or criticized you about your gambling activities?
- Do you usually spend more than you can afford to lose?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount you have lost when gambling?
- Do you skip work or quality family time just to gamble?
- Do you gamble to avoid an unhappy or boring life?
- Have you lost interest in family activities and traditional pastimes because of gambling?
- Do you chase your losses?
- Do you feel sad and depressed after losing?
If you answer ‘Yes’ to a few of these questions, there’s a high probability that problem gambling exists. This checklist isn’t comprehensive, but it should already give you an idea for self-assessment and a guide on what to do next.
Tips to Keep Gambling in Control
Most players gamble responsibly, and playing your favorite casinos in moderation is okay. But it also helps to keep your gambling activities in control by following the tips below:
- Think of gambling as a fun leisure activity and not as an investment or source of income
- Set your bankroll and time limits before playing
- Learn how to quit when winning
- Only gamble money that you can afford to lose
- Don’t ever chase your losses
- Maintain your other hobbies and interests, and don’t let gambling control your life
- Avoid gambling just to escape from boredom or stress
Tools and Resources to Use to Regain and Keep Gambling in Check
Responsible Gambling is an industry-wide initiative that aims to help and protect casino players, especially the most vulnerable. As such, licensed and reputable casinos now provide their customers with various responsible gambling tools and resources to help them regain and keep gambling in check. Here are a few of these resources and tools you can use in most licensed and reputable Indian casinos:
- Deposit Limit. Casinos allow players to set the amount of the player’s deposit.
- Loss Limit. It’s a tool that allows the player to set the allowable loss for each session.
- Session Limit. Limits the time frame during which you can bet on games.
- Time Alert. Time Alert is a notification informing you if you have exceeded your set time.
- Self Assessment. A set of questions players need to answer to get an overview of one’s ‘gambling health and lifestyle.’
- Self Exclusion. It closes your account for a specific period, like 30 days, six months, or even a year.
Although operators run a business, casinos aim to promote gambling responsibly. Casino operators put a premium on bettors’ data and general welfare, and they do this by fostering Responsible Gambling.
Most Indian online casinos today boast a Responsible Gambling section where you can read more about the program and access helpful tools and resources. In addition, some betting sites publish links to organizations or their contact information which you can use at any time. However, as always, we recommend only signing up with a licensed and reputable offshore licensed casino for Indian bettors.
Where to Get Help
Sometimes, the resources and tools offered by online casino operators are not enough. In case of problem gambling or if you know someone struggling with gambling, you’ll find several organizations that can help.
- Gamblers Anonymous. Established in 1957, Gamblers Anonymous, or GA, is a community of players and advocates that help problem gamblers.
- GAMCARE. It’s a leading UK charity founded in 1997 that aims to raise awareness and help those struggling with gambling.
- Gambling Therapy. Gambling Therapy is a global service available to Indian bettors where they can get free practical gambling advice and emotional support.
Problem gambling or addiction can be difficult to assess or address. We can only manage and solve it by knowing its root cause through the help of experts and professionals. As such, we always recommend reaching out to professionals, including organizations specializing in problem gambling. Recognizing that you have a problem and need help is the first step towards remediation and responsible gambling.